Traditionally, Okro Peppersoup is consumed in Nigeria without the tomato but I decided to make mine a more wholesome soup by including more vitamin C in it. The tomato also gives the soup a bit more richness or as Nigerians say it gives body to the soup. Apart from the spiciness of the soup, I love the nutritional benefits of Okro in the soup as well. Okro is a great source of fibre and helps with bowel movement. Okro is also great for detoxifying the liver. It is also a rich source of vitamin A. With all these benefits I hope you would enjoy this Okro Tomato Pepper soup as a meal on it’s own or with Swallow. You may choose to add some fish to your soup for more variety but I chose just beef and snail.
8 pieces of Beef
5 Pieces of Snail
25 Fingers of Okro (Chopped)
2 Large Tomatoes
Half Red bell pepper
3 Yellow peppers
¼ bulb of Onion
1.5 tablespoons of blended pepper soup spices
½ cup of crayfish pieces
¼ cup of crayfish head
1 teaspoon of dry pepper
- Season your beef with seasoning cubes, onion and the teaspoon of dry pepper and bring to boil in a pot of water till the beef is semi soft. Add water as needed.
- Wash your snails and add to the pot when the beef is halfway cooked so the snail could be soft as well but not too soft.
- Add your grounded pepper soup spices to the pot and reduce the heat to medium heat.
- Wash your crayfish pieces and crayfish head and separate both of them into two bowls.
- Blend your tomatoes, pepper, and crayfish head with a quarter cup of water.
- Pour the blended tomato, pepper and crayfish into the pot of meat and snails and stir in. At this point, add the crayfish pieces.
- Add your chopped okro, stir for a minute and immediately take off the fire so the okro is not over cooked. There would be just enough heat in the pot to steam the okro.
- Serve with swallow or as a stand-alone meal.